Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Making The Most Of Store Coupons

A week ago we received a $10 off any purchase of $10 or more coupon to JC Penney's.  I have to say that these type of coupons are my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE COUPON OF ALL TIME!  EVER.  SERIOUSLY.  Last year I was lucky enough to get the same type of coupon to Kohl's once a month for 6 months.  With that free $60 I got enough clothes to clothe Little E for entirety of this summer.  For FREE.



Stores put out these types of coupons in hopes to a) get you to set foot in their store, & b) that you'll spend a whole lot more than the $10 offered in the coupons.  I look at it as the store paying me $10 to take home something, in the hopes that I'll be a repeat customer.   The majority of the time it does make me think more favorably of the store, but I rarely spend over $10.  Here's how...

1.  I shop clearance & stock up for the upcoming year.  Right now stores are trying to clearance out their spring & early summer items, so I looked for next summer.  By shopping clearance I am able to start my clothing stockpile for next year &  I make those free dollars go further.

2.  I ALWAYS make sure to get 100% of my free money, but I try not to go over the coupon value more than a dollar or so.  It is only logical to try to get the most for your money, whether that is money from your wallet, or money from a coupon, so take advantage.  Shop wisely though.  This is where you can get into trouble; give yourself a limit of spending X amount over the coupon & stick to it.

3.  Look for any other store coupons to maximize the trip.  On this particular trip I knew there was a coupon for a free moisturizer at the Sephora in Penney's.  I brought both to save an extra trip & save on unnecessary fossil fuels. 

Our grand total was a whopping $0.42, but to my mind the best part is that we "saved" $23.61 (not including the value of the sample).  I know I'm not the type of consumer JC Penney was hoping for when they sent out that coupon, but hey, it's all a part of being  the Green Goddess.  And I wouldn't have it any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment