Friday, October 7, 2011

Shopping for Christmas Year-Round

I like to get the best deals possible on Christmas presents.  That doesn't mean I'm cheap, it means that I shop smart.  The biggest way in which I am able to stick to a strict budget is by shopping year-round.  I primarily shop when things on clearance at the end of a season, when I have a coupon, or when there is an amazing sale. 

This method usually works beautifully for me, but last year, packing for a trip to India with a 10 month old, plus a month's worth of additional travel, AND Emerson's first Christmas left me totally frazzled & I ended up forgetting tons of presents & had to run out to purchase things on Christmas Eve (immediately after flying 15 hours from Mumbai).  Yikes. 


After we arrived home from our tour-de-Christmas-disaster, I knew I had to come up with a better method.  Enter my linen closet:   I have carefully sorted & organized all of this years presents by person into labeled bags.  I also have 2 little bins with presents with no know destination at the moment just in case I were to forget & need a last minute gift.  It has been a HUGE time saver & money saver & I plan on continuing this practice in the future. 

I really think that shopping year-round is the best way to purchase thoughtful gifts, while saving money...as long as you don't forget where you put the presents! 

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree, we shop all year around for Christmas. With 4 kiddos we have to or we would be broke in November and December!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh please, don't remind me Christmas is coming. My problem is I can't think of what to get for people on my list, even as small as it is. Hopefully inspiration will hit me soon. - Margy

    ReplyDelete