Monday, January 31, 2011

Struggles with Consumerism

Last night I picked up my lovely sister from the airport in Tulsa.  Her flight was delayed, so we decided to kill time at a Goodwill my dad had visited while he lived in Missouri, and told us was amazing.  Having made the vow not to purchase any new clothes this year, I was worried that I would struggle while inside, but surprisingly it was not that difficult.  I simply did not allow myself to look.  Instead I spent time looking at the classic Little Golden Books.  I happily found nine Little Golden Books from the era of my childhood, a nearly new copy of Hop on Pop, and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.  I spent a grand total of $7 for 11 books, well below the asking price of one Hop on Pop at Target.



But then today...


My sister & I went shopping at a cool little boutique in town.  I truly enjoyed looking at all of the unique items, but wasn't tempted buy any of them...until I saw the shelf of Burt's Bee's products for 75% off.  75%!  That NEVER happens.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE Burt's Bee's.  Love.  I also, would like to move toward more natural products in the toiletries department, and this would be the perfect opportunity.  But I just couldn't do it.  I couldn't justify spending money on an astringent, when I can usually get them for $0.50 after coupons, or lotion, when I get free samples.  I made it out of the store without purchasing anything, but I deeply regret it.  I am obsessing.  I am trying out the frugal practice of waiting 24 hours to see if I still want something or if it is just an impulse buy.  I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning, but if I still want that clearanced goodness as badly as I do now, I'm going back and getting it.

Oh I am struggling...

No comments:

Post a Comment