Monday, December 5, 2011

Panic Mode Update


Several months ago I wrote about feeling like I was in panic mode when it came to unexpected expenses.  The health care costs of having our second child are significantly more than they were with Little E & I wanted to find a way to pay our monthly $174 doctor bill WITHOUT dipping into our savings.  So far we've done a pretty good job of making it work & I've found sharing this challenge with all of you makes me more motivated.

Here's what I've done so far: 
  • I sold broken/unused jewelry to a gold dealer & made $100.
  • I returned diapers that I bought when we first found out we were pregnant with Little Baby & used the $54  toward a payment. (They weren't a good deal either, & I know better, but I guess I was just excited to purchase tiny diapers again!)
  • I returned a fancy dress I bought for E & bought her a booster seat with the store credit.
  • I emptied out a checking account we never use, which netted us $151 toward a payment.
  • I've been using the $25/week I earn for picking up my friend's son from school toward the payments, instead of using it as blow money.  
  • I used credit card rewards to purchase a $25 Christmas gift card which saved us $25 in cash. 
  • I've sent away for reimbursement through our flex spending account; that will put over $400 back in our pockets. 
Future Goals:
    • I still need to apply for the rebate on JC's contacts ASAP.
    • JC's applying for a rebate through his health insurance/wellness program.  If he gets it that would be $500 we could use toward Little Baby's expenses (or a big girl bed for Emerson)!  
    • We're planning on primarily eating out of the pantry for the month of December.  We'll be traveling for a large portion of the month anyway, but this could save the additional expense of groceries. 
    • I've been trying to be more vigilant about turning off power strips while not in use & hopefully that will continue to lower our energy bills.  
    We only have 2 doctor payments left (thank God!), so now we just need to plan ahead for the hospital portion for Little Baby.  We also need to figure out how much a big girl bed/mattress will cost & come up with a plan for those purchases without dipping into savings.

    I have to say, I've been thinking more creatively about bringing in money & spending & it has really gotten me excited about our spending habits.  Nothing like being a total & complete frugal living nerd!

    2 comments:

    1. The funniest thing happened when it was time to move Quentin from his toddler bed (aka our one and only crib b/c it is a convertible one) to a big kid bed. I went looking on CraigsList for a WOODEN headboard/footboard set and low and behold, the only one I found that wasn't clearly for a little girl was not only in our price range ($30!) BUT it was a FRIEND of ours who had it listed - and they graciously GAVE it to us free of charge. I hope that you'll find a blessing as well you search for E's big girl bed!! (PS - we got doubly lucky - my sister had left her twin bed from our dad's house there when she went away to college [across country] and then my dad moved across country, so we got that... so I'll keep my fingers crossed that a great deal pops up for you guys on that end of things) :D

      ReplyDelete
    2. A full on full bunk beds is a unique type of bedroom furniture you can use in any room. Normally, when you talk about them, it is assumed that this is an arrangement of two single beds on each other.

      ReplyDelete