Monday, June 27, 2011

Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers...


I had grand plans for my garden this year.  Unfortunately, due to poor planning, most of my little seedlings did not survive transplant into the garden.  Those that did make it have burnt up in the heat & are unlikely to produce any food.  Without being able to grow my own food I've had to come up with a Plan B:  Buy produce at the peak of the season, as cheaply as possible, & freeze it.

Enter last week's Aldi specials; a 3 pack of green peppers for $0.99 & a bag of vidalia onions for $0.99.  Of course as absent minded as I am, I forgot to go to the store until an hour before close Tuesday evening.  I was quite distraught & assumed it was unlikely they would have any sale produce left, but I figured it was worth a shot.  To my surprise, not only did they have a fecundity, they had it marked down!  Peppers for $0.69 & bags of onions for $0.39.  


I promptly bought 7 packs of peppers (21 total) & 3 bags of onions & went to slicing & dicing (while reciting Mother Goose, naturally).  My plan was simple:  prepare the peppers and onion into dinner size portions, so all I have to do is throw it in the skillet when I want to make fajitas, omelets, stir-fry, what have you.  After several nights of reciting Peter Piper I ended up with 9 bags of fajita type mix & 5 diced bags of peppers & onions for fritattas.  I'm hoping that will last us well into the winter & hopefully to the spring.  All for only $6!

I'm hoping to do the same with strawberries & other produce as it goes on sale.  The main component to this plan it to get premium nutrition for minimal cost, but we shall see how it works.  Ask me in February...

No comments:

Post a Comment