Monday, July 11, 2011

Green Organizing

One of the major tenants in green & frugal living is to be creative.  This does not mean that you necessarily have to be a creative person; you simply need to look at your possessions with the ingenuity to see them for ALL of their potential uses, in order to give them their fullest life possible.

I've said before that I am not the neatest person, but for some reason I LOVE to organize small spaces; I rock at cleaning our closets & cupboards.  JC always complains that my favorite things to clean are the things no one will see, which is true, but I believe it is one of my many lovable eccentricities... at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Seeing as how we don't live near a container store, nor do I have any interest in spending virgin materials or money to find things to hold my things, I've had to get creative.  Here are some ways I've recycled items in my bathroom: 



Paper clip holder turned bobby pin holder


Random oversized coffee cup turned chapstick/travel sized lotion holder (note the lotion is upside down, the ideal frugal way to store lotion).


Non- recyclable (in our area) candle turned Q-Tip holder


Childhood desk organizer turned sample organizer

Non recyclable candle turned thermometer & lose band-aid gatherer


Non-recyclable No. 5 plastic baby wipe tub ala tiny baby wash cloth wrangler

 No. 5 plastic cookie tray turned in-drawer organizer

Egg cup turned floss (these were a gift from many years ago, I wouldn't buy pick style floss myself) & Q-Tip home.   *Ok, I admit that I DID buy this one after Easter on deep clearance, but if you had one sitting around you could recycle yours for this purpose.


Sushi dip dish turned chapstick/floss/white strip fetcher.  

Before you head to the store in search of a container look through the things you have on hand.  Start with things that you can't recycle in your area & see if you can re-purpose them in your own home.  From there consider canning jars, tea cups, bowls, baskets, boxes, etc.  The recycling possibilities are endless.   

No comments:

Post a Comment