Saturday, April 9, 2011

This Is Why I Clip Coupons


When we got back from Texas, this was what greeted me in our backyard--a large chunk of our cedar tree on the roof & power lines. Not good.  Not good at all.  In fact our tree guy said we were lucky that the tree didn't pull the electrical from the house; he has seen people lose everything they had in five minutes when a tree falls on the electrical lines.  Needless to say this problem needed to be fixed.

Aside from the safety issue, the only problem was our insurance deductible is $1,000 and the bid for the tree removal was $800. That means we were 100% responsible for paying for this lovely act of nature...Welcome to being a home owner.  While I hate the idea of losing so much money so quickly and not really gaining anything positive from it (no improved energy efficiency, no awesome product to use), I am so unbelievably thankful that the damage was minimal, our family was safe, and mostly, that we have the money in the bank to cover it.

I find that frugal living can at times be rather tedious.  Is it really worth it to send away for a sample that will only provide you one or two shampoos?  Or to spend the time to make your own laundry detergent when you're only saving $5 from the cheap store brand?  Every time one of these unexpected life events occurs I have to answer a resounding yes.  Perhaps it does take a lot of time to live frugally, to clip coupons, and to save money, but to have an emergency fund & to not have to go into debt makes it TOTALLY worth it.

Even if we were to somehow find oil in our backyard & become Beverly Hillbillies, I know I would still live frugally.  I like the comfort of knowing that by living modestly we will have enough for a comfortable life AND be able to pay cash for unexpected expenses.  To me, that makes all of the effort completely worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment