Saturday, April 9, 2011

This Is Why I Clip Coupons


When we got back from Texas, this was what greeted me in our backyard--a large chunk of our cedar tree on the roof & power lines. Not good.  Not good at all.  In fact our tree guy said we were lucky that the tree didn't pull the electrical from the house; he has seen people lose everything they had in five minutes when a tree falls on the electrical lines.  Needless to say this problem needed to be fixed.

Aside from the safety issue, the only problem was our insurance deductible is $1,000 and the bid for the tree removal was $800. That means we were 100% responsible for paying for this lovely act of nature...Welcome to being a home owner.  While I hate the idea of losing so much money so quickly and not really gaining anything positive from it (no improved energy efficiency, no awesome product to use), I am so unbelievably thankful that the damage was minimal, our family was safe, and mostly, that we have the money in the bank to cover it.

I find that frugal living can at times be rather tedious.  Is it really worth it to send away for a sample that will only provide you one or two shampoos?  Or to spend the time to make your own laundry detergent when you're only saving $5 from the cheap store brand?  Every time one of these unexpected life events occurs I have to answer a resounding yes.  Perhaps it does take a lot of time to live frugally, to clip coupons, and to save money, but to have an emergency fund & to not have to go into debt makes it TOTALLY worth it.

Even if we were to somehow find oil in our backyard & become Beverly Hillbillies, I know I would still live frugally.  I like the comfort of knowing that by living modestly we will have enough for a comfortable life AND be able to pay cash for unexpected expenses.  To me, that makes all of the effort completely worth it. 

2 comments:


  1. excellent piece of information, I had come to know about your website  from my friend kishore, pune,i have read atleast 8 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your site gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanx a lot once again, Regards, paytm coupons, flipkart discount coupons, coupons daily deals

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog and it very use full information all customers have to learn this information regards Debenhams Discount Code

    ReplyDelete