Monday, August 1, 2011

Baby on a Budget--Cheap Nursery

I hate to spend unnecessarily.  It's not that I'm cheap, it's just I see no point in spending  money on things when I am able to use what I have on hand.  Not only does this save money, it also saves precious resources.   When it came to Emerson's nursery we utilized relics for our childhoods, thought creatively & came up with what I think is a rather cute nursery for less than $100.  Let me show you...


I'm not really a pink/peach person, but this was the paint color when we moved in, so when we found out we were having a girl, we kept it in order to save money.  Both the curtains & the rug I had from my single days & they happened to match rather well. 
Matching bedding set, a clearance baby doll, pillow case that was a high school grad present, & a blanket I knit in E's bed
The biggest purchase we made decorating was buying a 3 piece matching bedding set that included a sheet bumpers, & a quilt.  I bought it before we were ever pregnant because it was gender neutral & it was $34.98, down from $70.  I couldn't pass up such a good deal, even if I wasn't expecting...


This dresser was used by my sisters & myself in childhood & has since served our needs well.  It's not the cutest, but it works.  The shelves were left overs from my single days & are decorated with mementos from my childhood, as well as JC's.  To the left of the dresser is E's hamper--a clean, unused kitchen trash can (works great!). 

To the left of that is a Beatrix Potter growth chart my mom got for free from one of her teaching colleagues. 


Instead of purchasing a changing table, we use our pack & play that we received as a gift.  Our cloth diaper pail is an old stainless kitchen trash can, & JC bought the little one at Toys R Us, while I was hospitalized, for the un-godly price of $20.  Oh husband...



The wall hanging is the quilt that came with the bed set, I just safety pinned ribbon to the back & hung it as art.  Below the quilt is my childhood toy box that my dad made for me. 

To the left is a bookshelf left over from JC's bachelor days.  It holds E's sheets, extra diapers, toys & on top I've got some gifted & saved picture frames, as well as a toy & book ends from my childhood.

My sister bought the 4 pictures for Emerson last Christmas.


The little rocking chair was mine, as well as the Miss Piggy. The small pooh rug was purchased at the time we bought the bedding for $6.  JC's parents weren't using the big rocker, so they passed it on to us, & the rocking horse in the corner was made for me for my first Christmas.  Thanks Dad!


I have to say we were incredibly blessed to have E's crib given to us as a shower present, which is part of what allowed us to do Emerson's nursery so cheaply.  The letters JC hung as a surprise for me while I was in the hospital on bed rest.  He got them at Hobby Lobby on clearance for a dollar or two a letter. 


The art in the middle was made by a good friend for E's first birthday. 








 A few more favorites...
Toy Box Up Close


This needlepoint was made for me & hung in my nursery. It also does an excellent job hiding an old electrical box. 


Last, but not least, my favorite item in E's room hangs above the rocking horse.  This picture my mom bought when she was pregnant with me, having no idea that she was having a daughter.  When I was born, to her surprise, I was the spitting image of the baby in the painting.  I always think of my mother when I look at it & love to feel her love in my baby's room. 

Bottom line, when it comes to putting together a nursery, whether you have a little or a lot to spend, look at what you have on hand first.  It saves money & resources, not to mention gives you an opportunity to give a second life to many forgotten items.

No comments:

Post a Comment