Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Breakfast of Champions: Baked Oatmeal

I suppose there has been a theme to my cooking this week--capturing the comforts of home.  This recipe is my take on a breakfast from Camp Amigo, a Mennonite camp near my hometown.  It is delicious, healthful, and very filling.   My mom's been making this for many years for us, and I've been adjusting the recipe to try to make it more healthy. I'll post both versions...

Camp Amigo Ingredients:
1 c vegetable oil
1 1/2 c sugar
4 large eggs
6 cups old fashioned oats (not instant)
2 c milk
1 tablespoon + 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 apples (chopped)
1 c raisins


Camp Troyer Price Ingredients:   I've cut back the oil & sugars, while increasing the amount of fresh fruit, and natural sweetening spices.

1/2 c vegetable oil + 1/2 c applesauce
3/4 c sugar
4 large eggs
6 cups old fashioned oats (not instant)
1 c milk (I lower the milk because the added fruit will release their juices while baking.  Also, you can use powdered milk here if you want to save a little money).
1 tablespoon + 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
4 chopped apples (I keep the skin on for the added nutrition, but if you don't like the peel, feel free to peel the apples before chopping them)
1 c fresh cranberries (I buy these at the end of the holiday season & freeze them for use over the next year.  I throw them in frozen)

Whatever version you choose, the directions are the same:


Mix oil (& applesauce), sugar, & eggs together on high until yellow & glossy.  Add remaining ingredients on medium. 

 Fold in apples...
 and cranberries. 

 If you don't have a paddle attachment, I would fold the fruit in by hand or you risk mangling the fruit. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes. 

Enjoy!


A few notes:  This also freezes extremely well, so feel free to make a double batch & freeze one for later!  One other note, because there is a lot of moisture in this recipe, if you will not eat it rather quickly, I suggest storing your baked oatmeal in the fridge, as it can tend to mold, especially in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment