Tuesday, March 1, 2011

DIY Jewelry Holder


My sister gave me this shirt when she was cleaning out her closet.  I didn't try it on until I got back to Arkansas, and just didn't like the cut.  


I also had this frame sitting around.  It actually belongs to a digital picture frame that JC's aunt & uncle generously gave us; it came with two, and this one has been sitting around ever since.  In keeping with the use it, or lose it theme theme this year, I figured I needed to do something with the shirt and frame...like make a framed jewelry holder.

DIY Jewelry Holder Items Needed:

*hot glue gun (how cute is this?  $4 @ Michael's!)
*frame
*scissors
*lace

Steps:

1.  Cut the lace to fit the frame
I taped down any excess lace
2.  Glue the lace to the frame.  (I used a metal cuticle pusher to push the lace into the glue so that it was taut)


3.  String up frame--Because this was intended to go on a digital picture frame, it did not have any sort of nail hole, etc, so I had to hot glue a ribbon (saved from a gift) onto the back to secure the frame.

4.  Hang & enjoy!


For hanging the necklaces, I simply took a paperclip, unfolded it, and hooked it or the very bottom of the frame.  I wouldn't suggest really hanging a necklace from the lace, as I think it would tear the fabric.

My total cost for this project was $0; and, to avoid any waste, the t-shirt has now been cut up for rags.  It was an excellent day for repurposing if I do say so myself. 

Have you done any DIY projects lately?

1 comment: