Monday, March 14, 2011

Meatless Monday: Haystack Supper

Perhaps this isn't the most healthy or frugal of meals, but for me it is all the comforts of home in a bowl.  Back home in Amish country, the haystack is a very common meal, and is often used as a church fundraiser.  It's like any regional dish, different people do it differently.  Here's how I build my haystack.


Layer brown rice, beans (I used black), soy meat (I seasoned it with onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.  Beans & rice make a complete protein, but if you want meat, you can choose what you would like, just season it taco style).  Top with shredded cheese.


Add any other taco fixings that you enjoy.  I add salsa, sour cream, tomatoes, & lettuce. People back home add taco sauce or Western salad dressing.  It's totally up to you.


Now here's the thing that is NOT OPTIONAL when it comes to a haystack:  Doritos.  Crunch up Doritos and add to the top of your haystack.  This is also a great way to use up the little crumbles at the bottom of the bag. 

It is absolute deliciousness.  I promise you. 

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I think I'll be giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely try this recipe. I love beans and rice! Plus, I always hate throwing away those last crumbs in the bag, but no one seems to want to eat them either. This is the perfect way to use them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it looks good to you! Let me know what you think after you fix it! :)

    ReplyDelete